You may be questioning if an online abortion or at-home abortion is safe. As your health is important to protect, here is more information about the safety of this type of abortion. While it seems like the most convenient route, be sure to consider the risks.
The Risks of Ordering the Abortion Pill Online
Protecting your health should be the number one priority. One of the risks of the abortion pill online (or at home) is that it skips essential steps that can be crucial to protecting your health.
It’s important to note that if you are using an abortion pill prescription after a telehealth appointment, there is no way for them to conduct an ultrasound. An ultrasound confirms how far along you are and your viability (this is important since up to 20% of known pregnancies end in natural miscarriage).
Before proceeding with this type of abortion, be sure to confirm your pregnancy with a pregnancy test and an ultrasound. An ultrasound will verify if you have an ectopic pregnancy. If you do, this will disqualify you from a medication abortion, and you should seek immediate medical help.
Is it Safe for Me?
Every woman’s health and pregnancy are unique. The Mayo Clinic shares some conditions that may eliminate your ability to use the abortion pill:
- Your pregnancy is too far along
- You have an intrauterine device (IUD)
- You have an ectopic pregnancy (pregnancy is located outside the uterus)
- You have certain medical conditions, such as bleeding disorders, particular heart or blood vessel diseases, uncontrolled seizures, etc.
- Take a blood thinner or certain steroid medications
- Can’t make follow-up visits to your doctor
The Risks of the Abortion Pill
The Mayo Clinic lists the following risks of a medical abortion:
- An ongoing unwanted pregnancy if the procedure doesn’t work
- Heavy and prolonged bleeding
- Digestive system discomfort
- A surgical abortion, which would require surgical intervention
Get More Clarity Today
Online abortion (at-home abortion) has risks, and we are here to share more about abortion so you can make an informed decision for your future.
Pregnancy confirmation is important in your decision-making process. Get a no-cost and confidential pregnancy test and ultrasound to verify important pregnancy details. Our pregnancy services are free, confidential, and non-judgmental.
Learn more about your options with a no-cost appointment. Schedule yours today.